Role: Families’ Champion
Joining Forces for Families is an Armed Forces Covenant funded project aimed at providing families of serving armed forces personnel with independent free and confidential advice and support.
We now have several volunteer opportunities to help raise awareness of the service within the family communities of Aldershot Garrison, RAF Odiham and HMNB Portsmouth and surrounding areas.
Context of the role:
● To raise awareness of the service to families within the armed force community
● To generate referrals into the service.
● Assist individual clients to access our services
● Work with our communications officer to identify opportunities to raise awareness through social media groups such as those used by armed forces communities and families
● Attend events representing the service where the target beneficiaries are present
● Maintain a stock of informational material including self-help materials and identify opportunities for distribution
● Maintain a good working relationship and visibility with the welfare teams
What you would gain:-
● Satisfaction from helping people to resolve their problems
● Communication and active listening skills
● Confidence for other roles or employment
● Knowledge and training about the Citizens Advice organisation that can be used in other locations within the UK
You don’t need specific qualifications and experience but you’d need to have :
● Experience of and understanding about the demands of armed forces life and their impact on family life
● An understanding of and commitment to confidentiality
● Non-judgemental and respect views, values and cultures that are different to your own
● Good at listening
● Be friendly and approachable
● Basic computing skills
● Able to commit to the values and principles of Citizens Advice
● Willing to undertake training in your role.
● Able to commit a minimum of one day per week
This role is flexible and can be accommodated around other family commitments.