Universal Credit Help to Claim

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a payment to help with living costs for working age residents. You may be able to get it if you are on a low income or out of work.

Universal Credit has been rolling out across the UK for a few years and has now been rolled out across the Hart District for all new claims.

Universal Credit Full Service is a single payment and will replace the following means tested benefits:

Income -based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)

Income-based Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

Housing Benefit

Income Support

Child Tax Credits

Working Tax Credits

If you currently receive any of the above benefits you cannot get Universal Credit at the same time. You don’t need to claim Universal Credit until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) gets in touch.

However, if you need to make a new claim or have a change in circumstances then you will need to apply for Universal Credit . If you think this applies to you, we can support you with our Help to Claim service.

Get help applying for Universal Credit

Our Help to Claim service can support you in the early stages of your Universal Credit claim, from the application, through to your first payment.

Help to Claim is a dedicated service from Citizens Advice. It’s free, independent and confidential. Our trained advisers can help with things like how to gather evidence for your application or how to prepare for your work coach appointment.

Call us for free:

0800 144 8 444 (England) or 08000 241 220 (Wales)

Talk to us online:

Chat lets you talk to a trained adviser online about your Universal Credit application process. Chat is usually available 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. If no advisers are available, the chat box won’t appear.

Visit us:

Yateley Office
Royal Oak Close
GU46 7UD

Fleet Office
Harlington Way
GU51 4AE

Opening Times
Monday 9:30am – 3.30pm
Tuesday 9:30am – 3.30pm
Wednesday 9:30am – 3.30pm
Thursday 9:30am – 3.30pm
Friday Closed

The service is also accessible at our outreach locations in Hartney Witney, Odiham and Hook.

For online advice visit: citizensadvice.org.uk/helptoclaim

If you’re a local organisation working with people who need to help applying Universal Credit get in touch with us using the form below for more information on how you can signpost or refer people to our service.


Universal Credit Enquiry Form:

We need to record information about you to help with your enquiry. We have a legitimate interest to do this. We handle and store your personal information in line General Data Protection Regulation and in line with our Citizens Advice Privacy Policy  Please complete form below and select submit.





We will endeavour to contact the client within 48 working hours of receiving a referral. You can also view information about Universal Credit on Citizens Advice Public website.